LIFE2022 SHADOWING EXPERIENCE – LEARNING AND TEACHING TOGETHER is new way to get even deeper into the famous Finnish education. Understand how everyday life works in Finnish schools by shadowing Finnish teachers and by listening to the top Finnish education experts in Educa, the largest event for the education and training sector in Finland. In 2020, more than 700 education professionals around the world attended Educa in Helsinki, in addition to the nearly 20000 Finnish participants.
LIFE™ was chosen in 2019 as one of the winners in the Authentic Finnish Educational Travel Product -contest!
This unique training program offers an exclusive opportunity to visit Finnish kindergartens, primary, secondary schools, and also University of Lapland’s Teacher Training School. In addition to school visits, lectures and workshops, you may take part in social program, such as city of Rovaniemi reception and farewell dinner. This fifth Lapland International Forum for Education™ is organized in collaboration with VisitEDUfinn, creator of LIFE event, University of Turku, and Visit Rovaniemi.
LIFE2022 takes place right by the Arctic Circle, in the city of Rovaniemi, also known as the official hometown of Santa Claus. During the event, you have an opportunity to meet him in person and participate in many other awesome winter adventures. The main venue for event is at the legendary hotel Scandic Pohjanhovi, in the best location in Rovaniemi.
Theme ‘Learning and teaching together’ reflects the culture of learning promoted by our newest national curriculum. During the event you will learn concrete examples of how to work as co-teachers, how to group the students to work together, what kind of means there are to support students’ with special needs in multiprofessional co-operation as well as how to structure students’ collaboration. In LIFE2022, we will also establish our own culture or learning together and thus experience what it means in practice.
Have a look at the previous event sites to get a better idea what to expect: LIFE2020, LIFE2019, LIFE2018 and LIFE2017. Based on the feedback, we have added now more days and more interaction with other participants, and made other changes so that the experience in general would be even better than last four years.
There are only room for 80 persons, so book now to secure your participation!
See you in Rovaniemi!
FOR PARTICIPANTS: click here for practical information (venue, hotels, transport etc.)
- kindergarten teachers, classroom teachers and teachers of different subjects
- school managers
- educational policy experts and advisers
- educational guides and counselors
- teachers trainers, college and university teachers, vocational school teachers
- educational consultants, teachers coach
What to bring home?
- Observations of how Finnish teachers work and how school days are structured
- Examples of co-learning and -teaching in different levels of Finnish educational system
- Understanding how the joint learning pedagogies enable deeper learning
- Tools for planning, facilitating, and evaluating collaborative learning in teacher education
- Models to structure and initiate cooperative learning and team teaching in elementary and middle school
- Ways to support students’ with special needs in multi professional co-operation
- Analyses of how collaborative learning builds students’ 21st century skills
- An experience of learning together in a group of educational professionals from different countries
Outcome (impact of the course in medium terms)
- Enabling a new culture of student and teacher collaboration
- Develop personal understanding of psychology of shared learning
- New ways of grouping and structuring the studying of students
- Develop ways to practice working life skills in schools
- Contributing students’ and teachers’ well-being
- Fostering school as a learning community
- Restructuring organizational cooperation in your school
Methodology of the course/Pedagogical approach
- Activation of pre-assumptions and prior knowledge
- Creating a safe and positive atmosphere
- listening speakers and visiting educational institutions, through which personal questions may occur
- Reflecting the new inputs, information and experiences through personal diary as well as reflective discussions
- Socratic walks
- Re-structuring one’s domain-related understanding based on the new information and experiences through individual and shared/collaborative exercises
- Shared brainstorming, mind mapping, concept developing and scenario building
- Panel discussion
- Group peer learning- participants share experiences and expertise on the topic between themselves and with local teachers and facilitator
- Peer to peer learning – working individually or in groups on a development plan to be used in their own school
- Local cultural situated learning – visiting in different schools and other educational organizations
- Interact with invited speakers
- Participants will be invited to work on real challenges from their class/school/community
- Use led discussion
- Learning outside the classroom “on the move”
- The course participants will get a Certificate of active participation.
- The competences acquired will be validated by the course organisers on the Europass mobility.
Accommodation and meals
- Participants take care of booking their hotel. Euneos will give advice for hotels in different price categories. Participants are free in choice of hotels and restaurants. Accommodation to be paid directly by participants to hotels.
- Meal package includes five lunches, coffees and snack during the afternoon sessions, and two dinners.
More information about the program, accommodation options, winter activities, etc. on the event website: https://visitedufinn.com/event/life2022/
IMPORTANT! If you are using Erasmus+ funding, please register through Euneos registration form
Main organiser / trainer
Suvi Krista Westling
Ms. Westling is an educational psychologist and expert in the field with both grass root teaching experience from school and teacher education as well as research from these environments. She has a broad and holistic view of education and a deep understanding of human mind and learning. She has graduated from and later taught new students in an innovative program of educational psychology at the University of Helsinki. Her teaching has included lecturing, supervising pre-service-teachers’ practice, and facilitating group processes and process-oriented group studies. In her research she studies the quality of regulation of students’ learning and activity, at school and at teacher education. She has worked as an expert in educational program design at an academic level as well as in the world of international organizations.
Apply / Contact
Click here to apply or to contact us. Those who want to apply for KA1 grant and would like to receive our support documents, will find a link to our enlisting form or registration over there. Schools with a grant can register directly for Euneos courses.
- 28 January – 3 February 2022, Helsinki&Rovaniemi, Finland. CONFIRMED
- The courses start on Sunday afternoon and end on Saturday morning (7 days).
- Fee for tuition and materials: 490 euro (excl. VAT)
- Administration costs: 160 euro (excl. VAT)
- Meal package: 130 euros (excl. VAT)
- Total fee: 780 euro (excl. VAT) – (10% discount for schools coming with 5 or more participants to Euneos courses).